jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Monday, December 08, 2008

This is Not a Love Poem, or: So, Jill Says to Jack

When you told me
take this pail
I drank the water
carried myself up the hill.

When you demanded glue
I roiled my insides
pieced your crown
together with bits of sticky flesh.

I am not afraid to fall,
even without you beneath me.
The higher the hill, the more
sky to swallow on the way down.

When we are mostly water
what is there to do but swim?

********************************************************************

This is a letter poem in response to Carolee's Systole. Thank you Carolee, for inspiring me to finally write a poem.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

inspiring you to write a poem is a service i provide to the world. :)

wherever it came from, i'm glad it's here. i really love the stanza that starts "i am not afraid to fall." wow -- swallow sky, nice!

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, to swallow sky is a great line. I really enjoyed this one.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Linda Jacobs said...

That is my favorite stanza, too. What an image!

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home